From eBower Wiki
Red Beans and Rice
My daughter's favorite since she started on solid food, I usually pair with Asian-style short-grained rice cooked a little firm. While usually a side, the high protein content of the beans and the carbs in the rice can easily make it a full meal.
- 1 lb dried small red beans (alternatively 3x16oz cans, including liquid)
- Water to cover beans
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 packet Goya ham concentrate (optional)
- 1 Tbs bacon drippings (optional)
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Add beans to saucepan and cover with water. Simmer for about one hour.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans from the water and set aside.
- Add remaining beans and their liquid to a food processor or blender. Add the remaining ingredients save for the rice.
- Blend briefly until mostly liquid. Add the beans you set aside and VERY briefly blend once more, leaving larger chunks.
- Add the mixture to a crock pot and simmer for ~2-3 hours.
- Serve over rice.